In the early 1900's, maybe earlier, the rural public schools were the center of community life in Pitt County, as in North Carolina in general. As the schools became consolidated, the communities became larger.
Around 1919-1920, the Jones one-room school, about four miles east of Pactolus, on the Grimesland Road, and the Webb Scool, somethimes known as Sunny Vee, on the Washington-Robersonville Road, near Ward's Bridge were consolidated. The children from these two school communities were bused to Pactolus.
In October 1947, Pactolus School, the pride of the community experienced a disasterous fire which destroyed the building. A new building was constucted. However, due to insufficient funds, it was built without an auditorium. The auditorium was added about two years later, but the delay cost the people of Pactolus several thousand dollars. The bricks of Pactolus High School that burned were cleaned and used in the construction of our present school.
In 1954 as a result of the Supreme Court's decision to integrate the schools, Pactolus drew African-American students from Stokes and G.R. Whitfield Schools, located in Stokes and Grimesland, respectively.
Located on Yankee Hall Road just off of Hwy 264 W in Pactolus