Ancillary Support Specialist
This position is an excellent growth opportunity for the individual who loves to work with people. Your role is the face of Physicians East, welcoming patients and guests to the organization. You'll be responsible for greeting patients, verifying and entering insurance information, generating encounter forms and answering the telephone. You'll assist and work effectively with the Laboratory and Diagnostic Clinical staff, to ensure each patient's needs are met. As Ancillary Support Specialist, you'll welcome and guide each patient to the appropriate location of care for the laboratory and diagnostic departments.
TYPICAL PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Requires sitting for long periods of time. Working in office environment. Some bending and stretching required. Working under stress and use of telephone and fax required. Manual dexterity required for use of computer keyboard.
TYPICAL WORKING CONDITIONS: Work is performed in an office environment. Involves frequent contact with staff, patients, and the public.
COMPUTER SOFTWARE UTILIZED: Centricity, Omincare, PACS, Next Gen and Orchard.
EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE: High School Diploma or Equivalent; Two-year degree preferred; computer experience required; medical office experience preferred; familiarity with diagnostic and laboratory orders/testing preferred. Must have strong software skills including knowledge of Word, Excel, etc. Demonstrated proficiency with software applications such as NextGen, Centricity and/or related.
- Strong understanding and modeling of customer service principles.
- Must have a strong sense of team commitment, which includes meeting deadlines, punctuality and excellent follow-through and feedback.
- Must display a high level of confidentiality, integrity and initiative.
- Ability to form positive and collaborative relationships with all levels in the organization.
- Strong analytical and organization skills required.
- Must possess exceptional interpersonal communication skills and have the ability to create a favorable impression for the organization to all staff, patients and the public.
- May adapt procedures, processes, tools, equipment and techniques to meet the more complex requirements of the position.
- Demonstrates strong teamwork.
- Accepts additional work or special projects when appropriate.
- Provide and receive routine or sensitive information where persuasive, motivational, negotiating, training, empathic, or re-assurance skills are required.
GENERAL DUTIES: (This list may not include all of the duties assigned.)
1. Greet and direct patients.
2. Enter and/or verify patient demographics and insurance information.
3. Locate diagnostic/lab orders in Centricity.
4. Enter patient information and lab tests in Orchard to generate labels that are sent to lab.
5. Diagnostic orders should be routed to the proper diagnostic testing area in Centricity. If required, the proper light needs to be turned on to alert the Diagnostic staff they have a patient waiting.
6. Collect payment from the patient when indicated.
7. Answer multiple line telephones.
8. Maintain reference files.
9. Fax lab reports to other offices for home health, hospice, and reference doctors. All pre-op lab work should be distributed to the proper reference doctors via the pre-op coordinator.
10. Maintain main diagnostic desktop for current, standing and future orders.
11. Assign diagnostic codes for lab work when needed.
12. Keep area neat and orderly.
13. Able to begin each day at 7:30am and end at 6:00pm on alternating days Monday through Friday.
14. Work as a contributing member of a team to keep departments running smoothly.
15. Attend In-Service education, staff meetings, and other continuing education programs to maintain optimal technical/operational knowledge.
16. Adhere to department and company policies.
17. Attend safety classes and compliance training as offered by Physicians East, P.A.
18. Perform related work as required.
19. Maintains patient confidentiality in accordance with appropriate professional conduct and Physicians East's HIPPA program.
20. Adhere to department and company policies.
21. Assist with other duties or projects as needed.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by this employee. He or she will be required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other duties requested by his or her supervisor.