JOB TITLE: Patient Support Specialist I/II
SUMMARY: The Patient Support Specialist oftentimes is the first person with whom a patient or patients family member will interact either upon arrival at the practice or via phone conversations prior to the visit. The Patient Support Specialist is responsible for ensuring optimization of the patient visit by positively impacting the patients care through knowledgeable, reliable and courteous interactions. Further, the Patient Support Specialist ensures the accuracy of the patient's demographic and insurance information. The Patient Support Specialist works closely with all care team members and is responsible for performing a variety of office functions including: answering incoming phone calls; scheduling appointments; greeting patients and family members; and collecting co-payments. High School diploma required. One or more years of secretarial/medical assistant experience.
FLSA Status: Nonexempt
GENERAL SUMMARY OF DUTIES: Responsible for greeting, welcoming and assisting patients, securing accurate and up to date patient information, collecting patient balances and copayments at the time of service, ensuring prompt service at the point of check in/out, and promoting positive workplace with other departments within Physicians East.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Reports to Patient Access Supervisor-Operations; Patient Access Manager; Director of Operations.
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: None.
TYPICAL PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Requires sitting for long periods of time. Working in office environment. Some bending and stretching required. Working under stress and use of telephone and copier required. Manual dexterity required for use of calculator and computer keyboard.
TYPICAL WORKING CONDITIONS: Work is performed in an office environment. This position involves frequent contact with staff, patients, and the public.
EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE: High School Diploma required; Associates Degree preferred. Experience in a medical office environment is required.
- Must have strong computer experience
- Must have a strong sense of team commitment, which includes meeting deadlines, punctuality and excellent follow-through and feedback.
- Must display a high level of confidentiality, integrity and initiative.
- Ability to form positive and collaborative relationships with peers and physicians in all levels within the company.
- Must possess exceptional interpersonal communication skills and have the ability to create a favorable impression for the organization to all staff, patients and the public.
COMPUTER SOFTWARE UTILIZED: NextGen, Centricity, Orchard, Provation and Internet
GENERAL DUTIES: (This list may not include all of the duties assigned.)
- Greet, check-in/out, and direct patients.
- Verify and enter patient demographic and insurance information.
- Generate encounter forms and notify clinical staff of patient arrival.
- Collect co-payments.
- Responsible for individual till including cash, checks and credit cards and balancing funds with encounter tickets and transactions entered.
- Answer incoming calls promptly and courteously.
- Schedule, coordinate, cancel, and reschedule patient appointments.
- Screen calls, take messages, answer questions and provide information.
- Relay necessary messages to staff via phone notes in Centricity.
- Schedule and coordinate outgoing referrals to offices both inside and outside of Physicians East.
- Complete and send Request for Referral Appointment Authorizations to Managed Care Representative and notify patient of appointment date and time.
- Direct patients with delinquent accounts to patient representatives for financial agreements and billing questions.
- Send out new patient packets.
- Stay active with insurance updates.
- Keep forms and supplies up to date and ordered.
- Keep work area neat and orderly.
- Able to begin each day at 7:30am and end at 6:00pm. Some late nights required.
- Local travel between Physicians East offices may be required as needed. Dependable transportation a must.
- Work as a contributing member of a team to keep departments running smoothly.
- Participate in in-service education, staff meetings and other continuing education programs to maintain optimal technical knowledge.
- Adhere to department and company policies. Maintain confidentiality.
- Attend safety classes and compliance training as offered by Physicians East, P.A.
- Assist with other duties or projects as needed.
To Learn More about this and other positions- you may go to: Appointment Coordinator Greenville Women's Care - Greenville, NC - Physicians East, P.A. Jobs (applicantpool.com)
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by this employee. He or she will be required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other duties requested by his or her supervisor.